Friday, October 21, 2016

You Snooze You Loose In Cop Capital


After years of collecting sneakers, I thought I pretty much knew everything about them. Like the best places to cop them or which brands are the coolest. Well, that’s until I stepped into Cop Capital, Pretoria’s first & only sneaker boutique, damn I got schooled!

The lesson began with the founder of Cop Capital; a 2 meter tall, hundred and something kilogram sneaker eater named Werner Olckers whom I attended the nearby Pro Arte Alphen Park High School with back in the early 2000s. He’s just as cocky as he was in high school, and talks like a no BS kind of hustler, but his business acumen and life experience gained after matric sticks out like a scuff mark on a cream white sneaker when he starts explaining why the streets shouldn’t sleep on Cop Capital.
“I founded CC in early 2015 after the band I was in released the final record for our record label.
“After the music venture, I naturally decided to open a sneaker shop in Pretoria firstly because I’ve been collecting sneakers with a passion for over 15 years and also because I love my home city. I’m from Pretoria, we’re SA’s capital city, and I wanted a place here where sneaker heads can cop rare, hout couture sneakers without venturing to Joburg or Cape Town, hence the name Cop Capital.”

He pauses to gaze around his store, pride sparkling in his blue eyes, and continues “Everything you see in the store is handpicked by my staff who are avid sneaker heads. We research and consult suppliers before buying stock. We specifically cater to the individual who doesn’t want to wear sneakers everyone else is wearing. Once a sneaker is brought here it’s gone forever so you either cop it or drop it, you snooze you lose.”
Indeed, looking around the small shop, I don’t recognise most of the 50 pairs on sale selling between R1000 and R3000, but surprisingly there aren’t any Nikes or Jordans, standard brands for any sneaker head, “In terms of the tier we’re supplying, many other competitors have the Nike market cornered and I don’t sell my clientele what everyone else is selling because we’re all about individual expression.”

The current stock is still very impressive though, “We have the only pairs of Puma’s Chris Stamp collection in Pretoria. We also have the Adidas ZX-Flux Split Packs which I haven’t seen anywhere else, most of the New Balance stock is exclusive to PTA and we also have interesting collaboration packs from Asics.”
As we’re talking, a couple walks into the store. Ziggy, the dreadlocked salesperson on duty springs from his counter to assist them, he says something to them that distracts me from Werner, “ask me about any shoe in here and I’ll tell you about it.” 
They look surprised at the challenge, so the girl points at a random shoe, but before I can hear if Ziggy can really walk the talk, my attention trails back to Werner, whose describing how travelling abroad really opened his eyes to the sneaker game.
“I visited the biggest sneaker markets overseas; from Hong Kong which arguably has the largest market in Asia, to Amsterdam and London where sneakers are more of an alternative lifestyle than a culture and New York which I believe is the sneaker capital of the world.”
Werner’s vision is to build a local industry comparable to the best out there, without necessarily selling kicks that’s the same as the rest out there. With a growing online store, it’s easy to see this vision becoming reality, “customers can also purchase sneakers online and we’ll be delivering free to major cities. We will also sort you out if you’re ordering from the smaller towns.”

Exclusivity is a recurring theme during our chat, “Our kicks are higher tier, platinum ranges which we refresh every six months.
“When you walk out of here with a pair of kicks you’ll have a spring in your step because you’ll be confident hardly anyone is wearing your shoes.”
After the interview, Werner slips back into his office and the couple who came in earlier to browse thank Ziggy for his help as they exit the boutique. They look impressed, whispering to themselves in Afrikaans, but I catch something in English I completely agree with,
“Those guys really know their sneakers!”
Do you think Cop Capital is South Africa’s leading sneaker boutique store?
What about sneaker culture in South Africa, are we on a global standard?
Please share your opinions in the comments section.
Cop Capital website:  www.copcapital.co.za


Article originally published as No Sleeping in Cop Capital on JHBLIVE.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment