Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Freedom of Expression-The South African Press Code

According to Section 16 of the South African Constitution, the right to Freedom of Expression. Any individual has the right to spread the TRUTH;

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of expression, which includes:
(a) Freedom of the press and other media;
(b) Freedom to receive or impart information or ideas;
(c) Freedom of artistic creativity;
(d) Academic freedom and freedom of scientific research.

However, this right has strict limitations. Section 2 strictly prohibits;

(a) Propaganda for war;
(b) Incitement of imminent violence;
(c) Advocacy of hatred that is based on race, ethnicity, gender or religion, and that constitutes incitement to cause harm.

Click on the following link to read the 'Golden Rules,' that should guide a true reporter.
http://www.presscouncil.org.za/pages/south-african-press-code.php.

With the Press Code in my mind, I strive to become an objective, truthfull and unbiased journalist.Hallmarks of a true reporter.

I take absolutely no responsibility if what i post on this blog sparks up some form of controversy (i.e anything mentioned in Section 2 of the Right to Freedom of Expression). All I know is that I ALWAYS report the truth. If it offends any race, religion, gender I dont really care. ITS THE TRUTH!

The world is changing fast, a New World Order is appearing on the horizon and it is the role of every objective reporter to prepare citizens for the sweeping changes to come. Telling a lie to hide the truth never helped anyone, rather tell the truth that will help the greatest amount of people.

"I just believe in keeping it real and getting straight to the point."

Peace & love
Mooketsi

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog. It's neat to know it's being read by a wider audience than my family.

    As for your posts, I'm intrigued. I wonder about this "truth" you are hoping to report on. Who's truth is it? Are there not multiple truths? Especially between cultures who have different values, ideas, and moral codes. You even allude to this when you say "rather tell the truth that will help the greatest amount of people", implying there will be a selection to choose from.

    Thank you for your writing. I will most definitely follow it.

    Cheers,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again,
    Another interesting article you've put up. I must admit before now I did not follow South African politics. Thank you for broadening my horizons with your stories.
    I am interested to note your statement that you are trying to "tell the truth that is relevant to the greatest number of people". That does not mean that there are no other truths out there that could and should be heard. Sometimes a small voice has a lot to say.
    Despite reading your articles, I do not know a lot about South African politics and can therefore make no comment on what exactly is happening. However, I do know that just because someone is powerful and has a majority following, does not mean the other views, or "truths" should be ignored. It is easy to do, and is sometimes a desired outcome, however all people deserve a voice and an opinion. Just because 'Majority Rules' does not mean minorities should serve, they are entitled to question, to challenge, and to debate any person wanting to lead them. Just as we all are.
    I am on facebook, but have no idea how to use it (I just signed up and never use it). If it helps, my network is Juneau, AK.
    Cheers,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete